Saturday, August 26, 2006

Reflection


New Orleans 2 days post Katrina

Since this weekend is the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina I couldn't help reflect back on it. Actually, I get emotional just thinking about it and looking through old photos.....

When I was doing laundry in my un-airconditioned house it dawned on me that this was the year mark of Hurricane Katrina. I can only imagine what it would of been with that, no food, no water and extra humidity! It was just painful without my air in my home and I had all other ammenities. I remember calling my good friend Allison as the storm drew closer to see if she was leaving. I called her periodically to check up on them to see if and when they were evacuating. I told them to drive to our house which is part of the evacuation route. Of course since her husband was on call they weren't able to leave the city until the last minute. You can only imagine what the traffic was like. It took them nearly 14+ hours to get to Houston. Normally that is a 5 hour drive. I was sad they never quite made it to San Antonio, but was glad they got a flight out to Utah to be with their family. It's one of those moments much like 9-11 I remember so vividly. I wasn't there of course but was glued to the television all day as well as the internet waiting for updates. I probably was more intrigued because this was once a place I called home and it all was too familiar to me. I sat at my house in awe and felt so helpless for those whose homes were there, places I knew and wishing I could help.


Me & Alli


I was able to help track down family who had gotten separated and were in different shelters. I was in touch with our old R.S. president who had contacted me to see what I could do. The family was once in our ward and ironically got sent to the shelter here in San Antonio. Doug went down to the shelter a couple of times to help aid the refugees and try and look for them. I can only imagine what those people went through getting out of the city.

During this process I got a phone call from a sweet volunteer worker in Houston and literally went the extra mile in helping this family. Some how through the salvation army website we were able to track different members. I got on and left my contact information so they could call me in case they should find one another. She helped locate them and even took them out to eat a few times. I am sure the food distributed wasn't all too tasty in the Alamo Dome. And she extra mile to help. I didn't do much but make a few phone calls, but was glad to here there family reunited. And our old R.S. ward adopted their family! It was so great I think they raised nearly over $1000. Isn't that wonderful?? Sadly, I don't even know where this family is today, but my hopes are they are doing well and they are in a good place.

I am glad and happy today that our close friends are safe and sound and fortunately their home was not damaged. My heart goes out to those families who lost it all. I can only imagine. Just an FYI there is a Discovery Channel special tomorrow night at 9pm regarding Hurricane Katrina.